Malford Meadow lies immediately on the north side of the Village and extends from the river eastwards towards the Nurseries. The Meadow is a village amenity available to all residents for use as a community and where the protection of wildlife is a priority. It was formally acquired by the Parish Council by way of a Community Asset Transfer from Wiltshire Council in March 2016.
There are entrances to the Meadow adjacent to the Church at the western end and off the Green at the eastern end. It covers an area of approximately 4.5 hectares (11 acres) and is relatively flat, around 55 metres (180ft) above mean sea level. It extends for roughly 760 metres, about half a mile, from end to end. The longer grass in the Meadow is cut and removed two or three times a year and there is a programme for keeping nettles under control.
Projects completed at the Meadow include the clearance of the river bank and the establishment of fishing stations, the relayering of extensive lengths of hedgerows, the development of a network grass footpaths for easier walking and strolling and an area for Allotments. Bench seats and picnic tables have been installed at various locations in the Meadow with information boards at each entrance. A Community Orchard, consisting of some twenty assorted nut and fruit trees has been established and to the rear of the School a wildflower pocket is being established and maintained by the children. A Jubilee Oak has been planted to mark the diamond jubilee of Her Majesty the Queen in 2012 and a Memorial Oak commemorates Village residents who lost their lives during the World War 1914 – 1918.
There is a vision for the Meadow to become a home for a variety of wildlife, flora and fauna and users are encouraged to draw attention to any interesting or unusual specimens which may be observed.
The sponsors formally opened the Meadow on the 27th April 2012, by unveiling a sign board and planting a tree.
This would not have been possible without the support of our sponsors, the school and the help of the Friends of Malford Meadow, in particular Ray Stockall, Allan Glass, Cliff Mercer and Colin Hemsley, as well as the “Teen Team” who prepared the “patch” on a dreary evening beforehand (with supervision from Paul and Sarah Weston).
I thank everyone who attended and everyone who helped make it a success (and for their willingness to get wet!).
Iain le Duc (Chair of the Friends of Malford Meadow)
The Lead Parish Councillor for the Malford Meadow is Phil Hines